Friday, August 30, 2013

HAPPY NEW YEAR


“So the world didn't end after all!”, he declared happily

“I have no time for this! Get lost!” she grumbled

“You know I’ll never get lost”, he replied

She slumped on her bed as her anger dissolved into tears. “You left me when I needed you most. It’s been hard you know. I have no more friends, no money, no life...and it’s all because you left. I HATE YOU!” she screamed and cried louder.

“I’m sorry. I had no choice. You should be happy you weren't the one that had to leave like that”

“Happy? I’d give anything and everything to be with you. Every day, I prayed to see you, to touch you, to be with you- nothing. My heart turned to a void-”

“Oh, shut up!” he screamed at her. He was tired of her whining. “Shut up already!” He did an irritating mimic of her- Oh, look at me, poor little girl alone in the world; abandoned by my husband after a week of marriage! Will you shut up already! How can you see the beautiful things around you if you blur your vision with tears and burden your heart with sadness? It’s been a year already. You’re the reason you’re here. Keep being mad at the world and you’ll lose me forever”

She looked at him through her tears, trying to understand what he meant.

“At the stroke of midnight, it will be a new year and I will be gone. Live again. Love again. If you’re good, I’ll be in your memories. If you’re not, I’ll torture you. I died. Not you”

The clock struck 12.

He was gone.

She looked at the spot where he stood, remembered his smile and whispered, “Happy New Year”

No comments:

Post a Comment